THE HISTORY OF ALTE LIEBE - SINCE 1965
Alte Liebe was founded in 1965 on Nihonodori, a historical street, home to consulates and embassies in Yokohama, a vestige of the city’s history as a maritime port. The building itself was constructed in 1929, reflecting the European style of that era. In 1996 the restaurant was temporarily closed so that the historical building housing it could be restored. The restaurant was completely refurbished and reopened in 2000 with a Viennese-style interior echoing perfectly the early 20th century architecture of the building.
From its earliest days to the present, live music has always been a strong theme at the restaurant. Alte liebe means “Old Love”. Old implies vintage, history, nostalgia, love and romance. The restaurant’s history, spanning more than a half century, is a love story that will inspire our guests to create special memories of their own.